Saturday, May 29, 2021

 Are Quilts Just For Winter?

Not when they are crafted from paper!

I have not been fortunate enough to inherit quilts from my grandmothers or aunts.  Now that I think about it,  I can't recall seeing any of the women in my family working in the needle arts except Mama and she did crewel embroidery and and crochet. 

I was fortunate enough, however, to spend several years in the Midwest. I
found a best friend who quilted. Between her influence,  the ritual of autumn craft shows, local antiquing and the Amish community of Grabill, I fell in love with quilts. I learned to recognize many pattern names and their history. 


Ohio Star


Log Cabin

And then I wanted to learn how to quilt. I wanted baby quilts for my little ones. 

Technically I did learn to quilt. It was kindly suggested and agreed upon that a nine patch pattern might be a good one for a beginner, like me. So off I went to fabric stores in pursuit of primary color calicoes for a nursery decorated in yellow gingham and bright balloon wallpaper.

I pieced by hand. I quilted by hand and I still have that sweet little crib quilt. 

I continued to study quilts and began purchasing old quilts that were made by others' grandmothers.

My subsequent quilting endeavors have not been terribly successful. But I do love looking at fabric and dreaming about my next quilt. 

In the meantime, I look at paper the way quilters must look at fabric. I buy paper, then more paper.

And then I try to put paper and quilt patterns together.


I recently joined other Stampin' Up! crafters in a swap featuring the new 2021-2023 InColors. There was no sketch offered, just a list of colors and embellishments required. From a blank canvas, so to speak, a patchwork quilt came to mind.



And about the same time I was mulling over this idea, trying to divide fractions,  I came across a SU Demonstrator that is an avid bird watcher and quilter who is creating paper quilt blocks inspired by her birding. Luckily for me, I was able to purchase kits with cutting instructions and assembly directions. 


Duck Tracks 

Julie Heitz,  The Chirpy Cardmaker of Quilts - and more (her Facebook page), designed Duck Tracks, above.  This is my first attempt with one of her designs. I don't know what I was thinking, but whoa! I was cutting 11/16 th inch squares on the diagonal to make teensy triangles. 

I have another of her designs to try: Return of the Swallows. And perhaps more.

But for tonight, I am going to pull the quilt to the end of the bed; it is too hot for that extra layer.

On my floral square above I used the new Pansy Patch Designer Series Paper, plus Soft Succulent Cardstock and a gem from the InColor Jewels. Of course, you can find those products in my online store, just click Shop Now ~ let me know how I can help. 

Let's stamp!

















No comments:

Post a Comment