Monday, July 5, 2021

Sentimental About Stuckey's


I witnessed a true slice of Americana last year on the Fourth. Down on a beach on Hatteras Island the warning "Fireworks Are Illegal in NC" didn't seem to mean much to those wishing to celebrate. There were some pretty impressive displays after the sun went down. My husband and I had a prime viewing spot from the top deck of an ocean front beach house.

What was more endearing than the pop and boom of the fireworks was the scene just a few houses down. Out in the driveway were two young girls with sparklers ~ remember sparklers?  They were making circles in the air with their sizzling fire sticks and they were singing "You're a Grand Old Flag." I was a bit amazed that they knew it, because I hadn't heard any of my young grandchilden sing it; hopefully it is still taught in music classes in school.

Of course it was dark, but I imagined those little girls were dressed for the occasion in blue shorts with white stars and a sleeveless, ruflled red shirt with white polka dots. Happy Birthday to the USA.


For safety, boxes of sparklers were kept in an ill fitting drawer in the kitchen pantry. That was as lock proof, safety proof as our house was when I was growing up. But, I knew they were off limits unless Mama was with me. Although my middle brother was some years older than I, he typically did not count as an adult. If you have older brothers, you might know what I mean. 

There was only one place where we bought sparklers, Stuckey's. 

I loved visiting Stuckey's when I was little and on a road trip, so much I am told, that once we were close to a store Mama would suggest I lie down and take a nap in the back seat. Perhaps I would be sleeping as we passed by that roadside icon of America.(Yep, slept in the back seat with no seat belt and am living proof to tell about it.) 





Original stores were free standing and advertised Texaco gas, snacks, food, souvenirs and bathroms.

Stuckey's was known for their pecan roll bars, and other sweet confections. It was not those sweets that enticed me, but rather the souvenirs; silly souvenirs, really, that would like get lost in the car before we ever made it home. Why, as a girl, I made a beeline to the blue and gray Johnny Reb caps and flags I am not sure; perhaps it's the same as my youngsters always wanting a tricorn hat when we visited Williamsburg. 

I was allowed sparklers. And a Coke. And sometimes Magic Rocks. 

On the Fourth and on New Year's Eve I invited my neighborhood friends over in the backyard to light sparklers and draw with them in the air, many years ago.

I read a recent article that a descendent of the founder Sylvester Stuckey, Sr. is reorganizing the company and expects to expand the number of stores, reclaiming as many original buildings as possible. Stuckey's first location was a roadside stand in Eastman, GA selling local pecans. His wife Ethel made the pecan logs and that was the beginning of their family saga.

If you have never been to a Stuckey's or if I have recalled nostalgic memories, you can visit stores on the Virginia/NC line on route 168, in Mappsville on Eastern Shore Rt.13 (original building with grill), on Rt. 460 in Ivor or Roanoke Rapids off I-95. Go ahead, try a pecan log and walk around through the tee shirts and plastic alligators and keychains.  Buy breakast for $1.99 (maybe) and take home some sparklers!





Stuckey's at Border Station on 168, NC ~ in survival mode, many Stuckey's stores are sharing retail space with other stores and in cluster complexes.


Stuckey's has a great website with its history, a blog, pecan logs for sale, merchandise for sale and a store locator. 

This was going to be a lead into grown up's sparklers, all the sparkly and glitterly accessories that Stampin' Up! offers, like Wink of Stella. But I want to wander further down Memory Lane tonight, so excuse me, I am going to go sit out on the porch for a bit and gaze up at the stars and listen to the ocean. Happy Birthday America!








 


No comments:

Post a Comment