Tuesday, November 2, 2021

 

Don't wait for Christmas!




Making Christmas cards from the Frosted Gingerbread Suite of stamps and dies sent me looking for my favorite gingersnap cookie recipe.
 
Southern Living Magazine was a staple in my home and I relied on it heavily once I married and began cooking for a family. I purchased the annual cookbooks and any special series like The Southern Heritage Collection, copywrite 1984.

When fall rolls around it is time for pecan pies, pumpkin bread and gingersnaps. I still use this recipe and have offered it to anyone asking: 

Gingersnaps
3/4 c. shortening
1 c. sugar
1 egg
1/4 c. molasses
2 c. all purpose flour (I added another 1/2 c.)
1 t. baking soda
1 t. ground cinnamon
1 t. ground ginger
1 t. ground cloves
additional sugar

Cream shortening; gradually add 1 c. sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add egg and molasses; beat well.
Sift together flour, soda and spices. Add to creamed mixture, mixing well.
Shape dough into 3/4 inch balls. Roll in sugar. Place on greased baking sheets; lightly flatten balls.
Bake at 375° 8 - 10 minutes or until browned ~ tops will crack.
Place on wire racks to cool.
Store in airtight container.
Yield 6 dozen.

I love using my old cookbooks. The best ones are those that can be read and thumbed through, with history and anecdotes. The Southern Heritage Collection contains old photos, events, period illustrations, vintage advertisements and stylized pictures of the food, and my handwritten notes. They have been loved and used for many special occasions.

The volume that includes Gingersnaps is titled Family Gatherings. The table of contents reads: "Reunions & Homecomings", "Home for the Holidays", "Special Days", "Once in a Lifetime", "Just Family".

There are seven or more entire menus in each chapter so no special gathering goes without mention.

There are recipes for Dressed Eggs, Pineaple Pie, Krum Kake, Christmas Eggnog, Individual Liver Pate on Toast Rounds, Noodle Kugel, Bar Mitzvah Brownies with 
Chocolate Bourbon Frosting, Grits Souffle, Sally Lunn Bread, Old Fashioned Cheese Straws ...

I have just ordered some fresh pecans for Thanksgiving; Company Sweet Potatoes is a recipe that is always requested of me at family gatherings in November. All the girls in the family now have their own copy because we can't eat together at Grandmama's anymore, but we can all have the Company Sweet Potatoes, and remember.

I hope you have and make sweet holiday memories this season.






No comments:

Post a Comment