Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Who Doesn't Like to Play in Water?

It seems universal, children love to play in the water, for the most part.



The water hose, washing the car, watering the plants, water fountains, a stream, the ocean, the bath tub (except for washing hair), swimming pools ... and now there are children's play fountains in parks and gardens and amusement venues.

I could fill this blog with pictures of my children and grandchildren playing in the water. My water play was in a ringed plastic wading pool or in the sprinkler, but not in the front yard! Mama would not have children in bathing suits in the front yard!

Play for me today is water and ink!



I truly love the watercolor options that Stampin' Up! has given us: aqua painters, watercolor pencils, watercolor paper, shimmery white card stock ... they can make an artist out of any of us.

Although there is nothing really hard about ink and water, first attempts may not result in what was anticipated. Like water, sometimes you must go with the flow. I have read many blogs and viewed videos to glean tips that may produce my desired effects.

Aqua painters and markers is probably as close to controlled as you can get with the watercoloring techniques. On the top left card I scribbled Stampin' Write markers in three colors and then painted with water right over them - using an aqua painter.

I found this card and the alluring blog title "Three Step Watercolor Wash" from Natalie Lapakko/stampwitch.blog.  She very succinctly instructed to  1. scribble colors, 2. apply water from aqua painter and 3. splatter water from aqua painter onto colored area (to create bubbles, texture, interest) and blot with paper towel.

AND it worked. First time! I  love it when things work the first time around!!

She also used a bit of the new Copper Trim for accent; I used some to ground the piece, almost like sandy shore, I suppose. The ribbon can be stretched out to suggest fishing nets, chicken coop wire, sand ...

Not only did I enjoy creating this, but the gals in my classes did as well. Thanks Natalie!

I used the Shimmery White Cardstock for that art piece. And then moved onto Stampin' Up!'s Watercolor Paper for the canvas sling beach chair in the card on the right, a design by Mary Brown at stampercamper.com.

I found the SU watercolor paper too thick and textured for stamping, so switched over to the Shimmer White again.

The watercolor background was created with one of our acrylic blocks ~ ink the block up with several beachy colors (all at once), spritz with water, stamp it onto the paper. HOLD block down, or weight it down for a bit so that color is absorbed into the paper. Pulling the block up immediately causes the water and colors to run downhill like a mudslide. Thank you Mary for that advice!! I had previously produced many mudslides and decided that I could not handle this technique.

I will say that I continued working with my initial stamped image on the the heavy SU watercolor paper. I added a little color with markers, added water with the aqua painter and I like the result, but I did not try stamping a sentiment onto that heavy paper ~ just left the beach scene as a mini watercolor masterpiece for myself.

Don't be afraid; go ahead and play in the water!

No comments:

Post a Comment