Friday, May 13, 2016

Easy and Stunning Hummingbirds ~ The Stamped Kind

If there is anything easier than stamping the perfect rose from the Picture Perfect stamp set, it is stamping the hummingbird.
This was only the second hummer I stamped and it's pretty close to perfect. See how clean my grid paper is - just one other wild beaked guy . E.A.S.Y.

I have never been drawn to hummingbirds, perhaps because I have never made an earnest attempt to attract them. Wild bird seed and a feeder from the hardware store has always been my experience with backyard birds. And I do love my birds, the familiar and regular visits from the cardinals and blue jays and finches, the wrens in their birdhouse, and the ground feeders. 

I do, however, recall lounging away one morning on a friend's poolside patio and noticing an almost invisible zip of something through the air from the pool's fence into a neighboring tree. As one bird zipped by and up into the tree, another zipped down and out of sight. I was mesmerized by this constant zipping of what I discovered was hummingbirds. 

Not only was the fence covered in red blooms, but there was also a red plastic feeder close by at the kitchen window. Were the birds chasing each other? Was there room for only one at the feeder? I have since learned that the males (with the ruby red throats) are very aggressive over food sources.

I do not have a hummingbird feeder out in my 'woods,' so I will be content with just stamping them. 

There is more variety on the coloring of the small birds than just Pear Pizzazz, Wild Wasabi, Old Olive and Real Red, but that's the color combination I chose after looking at bird photos and at demonstrators' suggestions.

My Monday Stampers spent their entire morning with the Picture Perfect set.


Jeanne's hummer is nosing in on an attractive vine created with the flourish stamp from Timeless Textures stamp set. The blooms were free-handed in Watermelon Wonder and Daffodil Delight. 

Beautiful! 

And there's one more stamp in the set to see, so stay tuned ...


No comments:

Post a Comment